Friday, March 09, 2012

Movie review: Friends with Kids

I know I go to free movie screenings fairly regularly but the ticket I got to see Friends with Kids was kind of extra cool because the writer/director/star of the movie, Jennifer Westfeldt, graced us with her presence afterwards and answered questions from the audience.

Funnily enough, I was very late getting to the movie, which meant there were very few seats available at the screening when I got there so I ended up in the second row. But, since Jennifer was there, it ended up being a great seat because it meant I was two rows away from her!

Anyway, I enjoyed the movie. Jennifer and Adam Scott, from Parks and Recreation, star as two friends who are the last in their group to settle down, get married and have kids. However, after seeing their married friends kind of lose all fun in their life once the kids come, they think the best way around this is to remain friends and have kids that way, without the complications of romance. Of course, the just friends thing doesn't work out exactly the way they expect. Overall, it was a cute film with a lot of funny moments and despite the predictability of the premise (it's a romantic comedy, at its core), I felt the circumstances that took place between the main characters were very believable. And it surprised me how much I liked Adam Scott's performance, because quite frankly he's never done much for me before. I've seen him in several things and while he's fine, I would never have rated him any higher than fine. But he did a good job as the male lead here.

No comments: